What is it?SketchUp is a 3-D design tool available free as one of Google's many tools. SketchUp allows you to build three-dimensional, scale renderings of structures and layouts.
What is it good for?
- Illustrate an idea so your whole team/committee has a shared understanding of the common vision?
- Scale images help highlight where bottlenecks might occur
- Make adjustments and try different configurations before the real work begins
- Sketching out room layouts for big events.
- Communicate a concept to the board/deacons/elders
- Communicate a concept to the congregation
- Communicate a concept to volunteers
SketchUp is obviously not a replacement for professional architects when making building plans. I've had great experience using SketchUp to help visualize a pair of remodeling projects with our church.
If you have an eye for spatial relationships, finding your way around SketchUp shouldn't give you much trouble. If you're like me, you'll first find yourself building a model of your house when you should be doing something more important.
So, show me...
|One of the SketchUp renderings used for planning|
|A photo of the actual results|
Get SketchUp online at www.sketchup.com.
Google Week Series: