I had an interesting inquiry via a phone call yesterday regarding policies for church websites. I've never had occasion to develop such a policy, although, I've had many thoughts on what one should include.
So I'm asking Church 2.0 readers: What policies do you have in place for your church website? If you don't have a policy, what would you include?
Consider the following to get us started:
- Content: What does and does not belong on the site?
- Privacy: How do you handle the publishing of names, phone numbers, birthdays, and other information that would pretty benign in your print bulletin, but may have different implications on the web?
- Children: What is your policy on publishing the names and/or faces of children and youth on your site? How about adults?
- Families: How do you keep families who may require stringent privacy due to touchy issues like custody battles and other such matters off your site, yet ensure confidentiality within the church?
- Access: Who should have access to publish on/manage your site? How is that determined?