Church Website Policies

Posted by Chad Lemon | 8:35 AM | , | 2 comments »

I had an interesting inquiry via a phone call yesterday regarding policies for church websites. I've never had occasion to develop such a policy, although, I've had many thoughts on what one should include.

So I'm asking Church 2.0 readers: What policies do you have in place for your church website? If you don't have a policy, what would you include?

Consider the following to get us started:

  • Content: What does and does not belong on the site?
  • Privacy: How do you handle the publishing of names, phone numbers, birthdays, and other information that would pretty benign in your print bulletin, but may have different implications on the web?
  • Children: What is your policy on publishing the names and/or faces of children and youth on your site? How about adults?
  • Families: How do you keep families who may require stringent privacy due to touchy issues like custody battles and other such matters off your site, yet ensure confidentiality within the church?
  • Access: Who should have access to publish on/manage your site? How is that determined?
Your turn. I'm looking forward to your comments.

2 comments

  1. Anonymous // October 19, 2008 at 5:00 PM  

    I came across your site today and with warm welcome. The church needs info on technology so you are in the proper niche. Keep up the great posts!

  2. Anonymous // December 4, 2010 at 5:13 AM  

    I am the website coordinator for our church. Our site is about 2 years old. I am trying to develop a policy also, as I find Board members and others ask me to put things on the site that may not be the best links or use.